During July there were four home break-and-enters in QTSR, and also a couple of reported car break-ins. August is the worst month of the year for burgluries, as people head off for vacations and leave their homes unattended. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind this month:
• Lock all doors and windows
• Install deadbolt locks on all exterior doors and other entrances into the home
• Ensure proper locks are installed on sliding glass doors, and consider inserting a fitted piece of wood or metal in the doors' lower track to improve security
• Use curtains on basement and garage windows to prevent passers-by from shopping for goods
• Do not leave purses or valuables in view of persons at your door
• Consider purchasing a home security system
• Keep tools, ladders, garbage pails, and other material locked away
• Keep bicycles, barbecues, and lawnmowers and snow blowers securely stored
• Ensure you have adequate exterior lighting
• Inform neighbours or relatives of your vacation plans and where you can be reached, and leave a key with them so that they can check your home
• If you go away on vacation have a neighbor park their car in your driveway and pick up any flyers or mail
• Leave your home with a lived-in-look. Use automatic timers to turn on lights.
• Report any suspicious people in your neighborhood.
The Greenbank Community Police Center does offer free home security inspections. You can contact our local Constable Sue Wright at 613-236-1222 ext. 2179 for more information.
Also, please contact us at email@example.com if you are interested in establishing a Neighbourhood Watch Program on your block. A new program is underway on Thorson Avenue, and we can provide you and your neighbours the information necessary to follow suit.