Use the below safety tips to assess if this is a scam or legitimate offer.
- Salesperson arrives unannounced.
- They say, “We’re from you current water heater provider, utility or local municipality” or, “ I just need to check your bill to ensure the necessary adjustments have been made”.
- They pressure you to sign a contract.
- They refuse to leave product information behind.
What can you do - Safety Tips:
- Ask questions! A reputable sales associate will have no problem answering your questions. i.e. What company do you represent; Can I see your ID; How long have you been in business; What are the cancellation fees; Can you leave the contract so I can review it on my own time?
- Call the organization they’re representing to verify the information provided to you
- Don’t let them inside your home under any circumstance
- Don’t be pressured to sign a contract on the spot. (Limited time offer or scare tactics).
- If they are rude or insist on coming into your home, ask them to leave and/or call the police (613-230-6211)
- If you signed a contract, under the Ontario Consumer Protection Act you have 10 days to cancel and up to 1 year if you were misled or deceived. http://www.ontario.ca/consumers/your-rights-under-consumer-protection-act
If you are uncomfortable with a situation: Say No!! It is not impolite it is your RIGHT!!