Some tips for living with neighbourhood raccoons are:
- Never feed raccoons.
- Pick fruit as soon as it ripens.
- Regularly pick up fallen birdseed.
- Keep barbecues clean and covered when not in use.
- Secure garbage in durable plastic containers with locking lids.
- Store garbage indoors until collection day.
- Keep compost in containers that keep raccoons out while allowing for ventilation.
Make your property unwelcoming
- Block off potential access points to your attic, garage and other buildings.
- Secure the perimeter of decks, sheds and crawl spaces.
- Keep indoor pet food and any other food away from a pet door. Lock the pet door at night.
- Install a chimney cap.
- Trim branches near buildings to prevent easy access.
- Complete home repairs in the autumn, so mother and young won't be trapped inside.
- Use flashing lights, motion sensors and noise makers to deter raccoons.